POSITION: Sr. Staff Attorney
SALARY: $46,000-50,000/ Based on Experience
TYPE: Regular Full-Time
REPORTS TO: Director of Legal Services
The Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights of Los Angeles (CHIRLA) is a non-profit organization founded in 1986 to advance the human and civil rights of immigrants and refugees in Los Angeles. As a multi-ethnic coalition of community organizations and individuals, CHIRLA aims to foster greater understanding of issues that affect immigrant communities, provide a neutral forum for discussion, and unite immigrant groups to more effectively advocate for positive change. CHIRLA’s programs include coalition-building and convening of organizations, advocacy around issues affecting immigrants and refugees, community education, service provision and technical assistance, and organizing and leadership development for immigrant workers and youth.
The Staff Attorney will provide affirmative immigration services, provide representation of clients in deportation proceedings and pursue community-based systemic reform and advocacy aimed at reforming unforgiving federal immigration laws.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
· Screen potential non-citizens for all potential and available immigration benefits including citizenship, adjustment of status, special Immigrant Juvenile Status, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), Deferred Action for Parental Accountability (DAPA);
· Provide direct legal services to victims of torture, domestic violence, and other serious crimes in immigration matters;
· Assist the supervising attorneys in training and supervising paralegals as they prepare for BIA accreditation;
· Supervises legal clinic at CHIRLA one to three times per week;
· Support CHIRLA’s fundraising goals including annual fundraising drive and GALA activities;
· Other duties and responsibilities as necessary.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
· Active membership in the California State Bar (preferred);
· Prior experience in immigration law required;
· Experience in assisting noncitizens apply for administrative relief strongly preferred
· Experience working with underserved and diverse populations;
· Advocacy and experience in services for victims of crime;
· Strong coordination, communication and advocacy skills;
· Spanish fluency or high proficiency is required as the job requires extensive legal counseling and representation in the Spanish language;
· Excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail;
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills; ability to work effectively with a diverse community;
· Must be flexible to work Saturdays as needed.
To apply, send resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject Line should read: Sr. Immigration Attorney
To apply by mail send materials to: Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights of Los Angeles (CHIRLA)
Attn: Human Resources
2533 W. 3rd St., Suite 101, Los Angeles, CA 90057
To apply by fax send materials to: Fax: (213) 353-1344